UK Athletics have created a model that shows the ideal Athlete Development
In this first diagram they are suggesting:
- 5-8 year olds should concentrate on basics such as Agility/Balance/Coordination (ABC).
- 9-12 year olds should concentrate on principles of Running, Jumping and Throwing
- 13-15 year old get introduced to actual athletic events
- 16-18 year olds focus on a particular group of events from Sprinting/Endurance/Jumping/Throwing
- 19+ Specialise in one event
In this second diagram we can see what Coaching Level is required for each part of the Athletes Development: