COACH PROFILE: MATT SPICER
- Competed for Yate 1984-1991.
- Started as a sprinter, but moved to throws, specialising in the Hammer Throw. Career highlights were setting a World Best for a 14 year old throwing a Senior Hammer, winning the English Schools and representing Great Britain three times at U20 level.
- Started coaching for Yate in 2014.
- Matt returned to competition for Yate in 2016, having spent some time at Bristol & West Athletic Club.
- 2015-Present – Coaching Secretary.
Coaching Qualifications & Achievements
- 2003 – Level 1 Assistant Coach
- 2012 – Coaching Assistant
- 2014 – Athletics Coach
- 2015 – Hammer Coach
- Matt has attended the England Athletics “Physical Preparation” course and several “National Coaching Development Pathway” courses.
- Five of his athletes have qualified to compete at the English Schools (one athlete has been twice).
- One athlete has won a Silver Medal at the English Schools.
- Two Masters athletes won Gold medals at the 2017 British Masters Championships.
- Tues & Thurs (7:00-8:30pm). Matt works Shift patterns, so Tuesday & Thursday sessions change from week-to-week. Athletes need to liaise with Matt before attending.
- Saturday (9:00-10:00 and 10:00-11:00). Currently four athletes per session.
Training Session Requirements
- Ideally, athletes should be a ‘power-athlete’ (fast, strong and explosive).
- Spaces in his squad are limited to about 8 athletes (10 Maximum), due to training time constraints.
- Athletes must be prepared to attend a minimum of one session per week, but two, or three, will provide noticeable improvements.
- Anybody wishing to join must be U15, or older, as there are no competitions for U13’s.
- Matt is currently hoping to recruit two more athletes (U15’s male or female) to his “Hammer Squad”.