Championships are more often than not competitions that you enter yourself and usually involves no team selection.
Generally speaking there are three types of Championships in the UK (This also applies to the Indoor Season):
- Local area championships, such as the County Championships
- Regional area Championships, such as the South West, or Midland Championships
- National Championships
You will be expected to wear the vest of the club (Yate) or area (County) you are representing.
As there are usually no Team Managers, Athletes are responsible for entering these Championships themselves.
Please look at our Fixtures List for possible Championships to enter.
In order to compete in a county championship you will either need to have been born in that county, or you will need to meet some level of residency criteria – more details can be found below.
Note – Avon is made up of South Gloucestershire, Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset and North Somerset
The Avon County Championships are usually held at Yate Outdoor Sports Complex Mid May
The Wiltshire County Championships will be held at Tidworth Oval Mid May and include events for para-athletes and U11s
The Gloucestershire County Championships will be held at Cheltenham Mid May, and include events for para-athletes and U11s
The South West Inter-counties Championships are usually held at Exeter.
Entries are open to all eligible athletes, and the counties will select a team from those entered to represent them on the day. (Basically you have to enter yourself, but if selected you’ll get to wear the county vest).
For details about Midland Championships, please view this website: http://www.midlandathletics.org.uk
For a list of National Championships view this England Athletics page
National Championships to look out for are:
- British Indoor Championships
- National Cross Country Championships
- British Masters Indoor & Throws Championships
- England Agre Group Combined Events Championships
- Senior/U20 Combined Events
- English Schools Championships
- UK Championships
- U17 & U15 Combined Events National Championships
- U17 & U15 National Championships