ENGLAND ATHLETICS PILOT COMPETITION
As some of you may already be aware, we are currently working with England Athletics to host a ‘Pilot Competition’ later this month.
As was detailed in the England Athletics “Competition Planning 2020” guidance (from June 17th), their plan was;
- 7-19 July: Short period of pilot events organised with identified competition providers to test out systems and provide learning for other competition providers.
- 25 July: Potential for local competition to take place, probably small numbers and restricted disciplines.
The great news is that Yate & District Athletic Club were selected as a provider for the pilot events. This is a fantastic honour!
We are now able to confirm we have applied for a license and intend to host a Pilot Competition on Sunday, July 19th.
If it goes ahead, the event will be ENTRY BY INVITE ONLY – PLEASE BE ADVISED, ALL SPACES ARE ALREADY ALLOCATED.
Events will be restricted to Hammer Throw, Javelin Throw and some Sprints & Hurdles only.
There will be a number of new rules, to ensure 2m social distancing is maintained by everyone and the risk of infection from common touch points is eliminated.
Some of the necessary measures required to achieve this will include:
- Extremely limited athlete numbers.
- Empty lanes in races.
- No spectators.
- Sanitisation of equipment.
- Everybody will required to bring hand sanitiser.
- Everybody will be required to sign in and out of the facility.
- Athletes will be asked to leave as soon as they have finished competing.
THIS COMPETITION HAS NOT BEEN 100% CONFIRMED, as there is still plenty of planning being done behind the scenes to ensure YOSC is “COVID Secure” and that we have full risk assessments in place.
The future of competitions in 2020 could well be determined by how well these Pilot Competitions go. Please help us try and pave the way for the return of competition both at YOSC and across the nation.
If things go well, the plan from EA is to start local competitions on the 25th July, so its not too long to wait!
If you are invited and this competition does go ahead, please abide by all the requirements… This is for EVERBODYS sake!