POLE VAULT RECRUITMENT
Coach, Sam Hillier-Smith is hoping to recruit some more athletes to her successful Pole Vault Squad and is providing a taster day on August 26th
Sam’s squad have broken many of the clubs records and gained Regional and even National medals.
Ideally, athletes would be aged 12-14 and available to train at least once a week, preferably twice.
To be a good pole vaulter, you need to have a combination of physical and technical attributes. Some of the most important ones are:
- Strength: You need to be able to lift yourself high into the air and hold on tight while you negotiate the distance between the poles.
- Speed: You need to be able to run fast towards the box and generate enough momentum for your jump.
- Agility: You need to be able to swing, turn and push off the pole smoothly and efficiently.
- Balance: You need to be able to keep your body stable and aligned during your run-up and your flight.
- Coordination: You need to be able to synchronize your movements with the pole and the bar.
These attributes can be improved with proper training, practice and guidance.